Obviously, Raxtus is not the typical dragon. He is not large, nor dominating, nor violent, nor cruel. He is actually quite friendly, shy, self-deprecating, and filled with anxieties, self-issues, and doubts due to his nature contrasting with his species.
He is kind and compassionate, as he has helped Kendra many times and while he appreciates their friendship he's uncomfortable with the ways she praises his undragon-ly traits.
Raxtus has lived a life of ridicule and confusion, as the fact he is the son of the Dragon King makes his lot in life worse in certain ways.
When he finally gets the recognition he'd always wanted it soon turns bitter as Raxtus finds himself caught in the middle between his friends and his own species. He eventually chooses his loyalties and helps Kendra, effectively choosing his side and showing his loyalties are with those he truly considers his friends.
When he was still an egg, a cockatrice got into the nest and ate three of his siblings. Before the cockatrice could eat Raxtus, some fairies intervened and saved him, then adopted and raised him. They gave him some of their magic, resulting in his unusual appearance and abilities.
Raxtus helped Kendra and her companions to get out of the canyons and to a Fairy Shrine. It is revealed that he has the abilities to speak to Astrids. He later helps Kendra again when he eats Gavin, who had just been revealed as Navarog.
Raxtus visits with Kendra at Blackwell Keep where he learns she and Seth are to become the new caretakers of Wyrmroost. Their visit is bittersweet as Raxtus, now a member of his father's personal guard, doesn't want Kendra to get involved in the matter of the Dragons' uprisings, but Kendra has to decline his advice. They are forced to cut their visit short when Raxtus hears his father coming and gives last-minute advice to Kendra before disappearing.
After having proven himself at the battle of Zzyzx, Raxtus was invited to join his father's Personal Guard, finally getting the recognition he'd always wanted. But it soon turns bitter as Raxtus finds himself caught in the middle between his friends and his own species.
This is made evident when he delivers an invitation to Kendra and Seth to the Feast of Welcome, and they show him contempt for siding with the dragons and Raxtus halfheartedly defends his choice but it is clear he is deeply conflicted before he departs.
After Kendra is captured by Jaleesa and brought to Celebrant, Raxtus finally decides where his loyalties are and seizes the opportunity to rescue Kendra when the Somber Knight arrives to strip Celebrant of his caretakership for his declaration of war, abduction of Kendra, and other offenses, resulting in an attack from Celerbant's dragons in retaliation.
Raxtus frees Kendra and flies away with her, effectively betraying his father and dragonkind, and though he can't get Kendra back to Blackwell Keep he instead takes her to the Zowali Protectorate, knowing the Talking Animals there will protect her. He assures Kendra he'll be alright and turns invisible to escape the dragons still pursuing him.
Powers & Abilities
Raxtus is unique, as he is a dragon that was hatched with fairy magic, giving him a nature that contrasts with his species and has caused him years of uncertainties and self-doubt. Raxtus was noted to be ashamed of himself due to the nature of his unusual upbringing among the fairies.
- Flight - As a dragon, Raxtus can fly, which he says is among the few things he can do right as a dragon. His nimble figure helps him become more adroit in the air and outfly even larger dragons.
- Breath Weapon - Raxtus's breath weapon makes things grow, such as plants and apparently hair.
- Aura of Relaxation - Another characteristic Raxtu is lacking as a dragon is creating an aura of Dragon Fear. Instead, he can emanate an aura of Relaxation, once demonstrating it to Kendra and Seth, that they felt their recent tensions and anxieties melt away and consider taking a nap.
- Invisibility - Raxtus can become totally invisible
- Fangs, Claws, and Scales - Though not a violent dragon, Raxtus's teeth and claws are very sharp and his scales are surprisingly hard.
- Fairy Nature - As he was hatched by fairies, Raxtus has a fairy nature. This allows him to not only approach the Fairy Queen's Shrines but also use them to pass into her kingdom and appear elsewhere as long as that location has a shrine. Kendra's touch as Fairykind also bestows a boost of energy to Raxtus.
- Avatar - Like all dragons, Raxtus has an avatar. Unlike all dragons, his avatar is not human in form but rather a boy fairy with butterfly wings and stands a foot tall. He is ashamed of his avatar form, saying he is a freak whatever form he takes.
Despite not being very dragon-ly, the Fairy Queen herself notes that Raxtus has more power than he believes, hinting that Raxtus has powers and abilities he has yet to tap into.