Wizards are men with powerful magical abilities. In Grip of the Shadow Plague, a fellow Knight of the Dawn tells Kendra about a Warlock who has the ability to create Dullions. Further in the book, Warren explains to Kendra that powerful Wizards used to be the only ones who could successfully contend with Dragons. Agad, in Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, reveals himself as a Wizard, and explains that all true Wizards were Dragons who have chosen to permanently remain in their human forms. Archadius was the first Wizard who discovered that his magical abilities were greatly focused when a Dragon chooses human form permanently. Wizards, as mentioned before, are Dragons who gave up their dragon form for heightened magical abilities. It is not known if Warlocks were once Dragons as well or whether they are either humans with magical gifts or some other form of magical creature that only resembles a human.
Wizards resemble humans in every way. True Wizards resemble older humans. In the stories all of the Wizard are males and, for the most part, resemble old men. At least one female Dragon that became mortal went on to call herself an Enchantress instead of a Wizard, she goes by the name of Isadore.
Wizards, after permanently giving up their Dragon form, have their magical gifts intesified to an enormous degree. The extent of their magic is unknown but they use Spells and control a large variety of magical gifts.
Known True Wizards
- Archadius - discovered that becoming a human permenently produced stronger magic
- Agad - pupil of Morisant, one of the five Wizards who created Zzyzx, a founding memeber of Dragonwatch, and the fourth caretaker of Wyrmroost.
- Mirav - deceased, was a dark Wizard and a memeber of the Society of the Evening Star
- Egar - mentioned only once in Wrath of the Dragon King by Grippa, he helped create the Sword of Tregain
- Vernaz - mentioned only twice in Wrath of the Dragon King, he helped Agad reconstruct Mendigo, but installed a remote access feature for the Sphinx and Ronodin
- Andromadus - In Master of the Phantom Isle, the dragon Dromadus could stand by no longer and chose to use the art of transforming into a wizard, taught to him long ago by Archadius, to become a wizard and thence chose to go by the name of Andromadus. He saved Kendra, Knox, Tess, Newel, Doren, and Tanu when Blackwell Keep fell and they were about to be killed by Celebrant, and helped them reunite with their friends and allies before insuring they made their way to Cresent Lagoon.